SMILE: An Innovative New Vision Correction Method
If you’ve been told you’re not a candidate for LASIK, but you’re tired of blurry vision and the frustrations of glasses and contact lenses, Hoopes Vision has great news. ReLEx® SMILE, an acronym for Small Incision Lenticule Extraction, is an FDA- approved and innovative new method of performing laser eye surgery. Hoopes Vision is proud to be the first in Utah to offer this new procedure to its patients. SMILE – developed by Zeiss, a German manufacturer of optical systems – opens the opportunity of laser vision correction to even more individuals who want to be free of glasses and contacts. If you have been told in the past you’re not a candidate for LASIK, come see us at Hoopes Vision to see if ReLEx SMILE is an option for you! “For certain patients with dry eyes and other corneal surface issues, SMILE may be a great option,” said Dr. Phillip Hoopes, Sr. “This new procedure gives us one more advanced option in our toolbox to help each person achieve the best visual outcome for their individual life.”
• SMILE was approved by the FDA in the fall of 2016 to address myopia (nearsightedness).
• On Tuesday, March 14th, Hoopes Vision became the first practice in Utah to perform this groundbreaking procedure.
• SMILE uses the Zeiss Visumax® femtosecond laser. The surgeons at Hoopes Vision have performed hundreds of LASIK flap surgeries with the Zeiss Visumax laser and have used femtosecond laser technology for the past 14 years. Hoopes Vision has performed more femtosecond laser surgeries than all other surgical practices in Utah.
• SMILE is gentle on the eye and does not involve creating a corneal flap.
• Surgery is not performed on the surface of the cornea, allowing for a quick recovery.
• Studies show the minimally invasive SMILE technique offers excellent stability along with minimal incidence of dry eye.
If you are interested in knowing if SMILE is right for you, please contact us. It would be our pleasure to answer any questions you may have and to schedule an appointment for you with the appropriate specialist.