iFS IntraLase™ Laser
Hoopes Vision acquired the IntraLase femtosecond laser in December of 2003 and began performing blade-free LASIK, becoming the first practice in the Salt Lake City area to do so.
In the summer of 2009, Hoopes Vision became the first Utah LASIK center to receive the newest upgraded version of IntraLase™ — the new iFS IntraLase™ laser. This completely redesigned fifth-generation laser offers many advantages over older forms of IntraLase.
IntraLase™ allows the surgeons at our Salt Lake City-area practice to:
- Provide our patients with a safer procedure by eliminating the more serious complications caused by the bladed microkeratome.
- Provide an all-laser surgery for better precision and predictability.
- Reduce dryness after surgery. Several reports have demonstrated less dryness after laser flap creation.
- Reduce the amount of pressure buildup in the eye when compared to the bladed microkeratome. Doing so increases patient comfort and safety.
- Create thinner flaps, freeing up more tissue so that we can operate on patients with thinner corneas.
- Increase the chance of 20/20 vision or better.
Advantages of the new iFS IntraLase™ laser include:
- Increased patient comfort.
- Creating a flap in as little as nine seconds for a faster procedure.
- Enhanced safety features.
- Ability to make an inverted, bevel-in edge for the corneal flap. This modification allows the LASIK surgeon to tuck the edge of the flap underneath the periphery of the cornea rather than resting on top. This has been shown to create stronger flap adherence, with less chance of striae (wrinkles) post-LASIK.
- The corneal flap can be created in an elliptical shape which has shown added benefits for patients with astigmatism.